When it comes to the freshest apples and pears, greater variety, premier quality, and superb service, New York Apple Sales is the company to trust and count on, as our customers (retail, wholesale, food service, terminal markets) have done for over 50 years.
- Value great relationships with customers and suppliers
- Always deliver a consistent supply of high-quality fruit
- Offer exceptional packing and shipping flexibility
- Provide superb customer service
- Combine the strength of our people with the power of technology to better serve customers
- Always focus on quality and safety
- Ship about 1/3 of NY’s fresh apple crop to points throughout the U.S.
- Export to Asia, Central America, Israel, Singapore, Chile, and the United Kingdom
- Import apples and pears from New Zealand and Chile to ensure the freshest produce is always available
Innovation and technology with practical advantages
Our packing and shipping facilities use leading-edge technology to grade, store and pack apples and pears. Our state pioneered the creation and advancement of controlled atmosphere apple storage, and we are at the forefront of electronic color, quality and size grading technologies.
Our partner growers are rapidly integrating new methodologies such as integrated pest management that slashes the use of chemicals through innovative scientific and natural techniques. They’re creating new planting concepts, like Y-shaped trellises/posts and wiring that allow more sunlight to reach blossoms and apples, producing more flavorful, better-color fruit.
And as we are doing at our own Fish Creek Orchards, migrating from traditional trees to smaller, more-compact dwarf rootstocks. This significantly increases tree density, improves yields, and makes pruning and picking far faster and more streamlined.
A focus on sustainability and the environment
New York Apple Sales understands that our company thrives on the success of our growers, and how they maintain the viability of their trees, land, and environment. So it makes sense that we encourage the preservation of the natural resources that our suppliers rely on to grow, handle, and distribute their produce. The produce we market worldwide.
We help facilitate science-based innovation and sustainable practices, often in cooperation with Cornell University. We’ve been an active participant in studies on Integrated Pest Management (IPM), and new techniques in growing, harvesting and packing apples.
Initiatives with a focus on reducing, reusing, and recycling
In the past few years, we’ve worked together with our growers and packers to –
- Re-invest in upgraded, efficient packing facilities and energy-saving equipment
- Improve labor efficiencies in orchards to reduce impact to the soil
- Minimize use of pesticides by replanting with dwarfing trees at closer planting density
- Increase use of harvesting and work platforms that are easier on the environment
- Enhance use of corrugated packaging with recycled content
- Streamline shipping logistics to reduce fuel consumption
New York Apple Sales’ long-term vision is to help to maintain the viability of our farms, soil, water, and communities for the next generation of farmers. We’re doing it today, and we’ll continue to advocate and live this vision into the future.